Skip to main content

Who is Margaret Ruff?

We found a quaint old watercolor in our crawl space in the attic that my husband's Dad acquired sometime in the 1950s from Norway. It was rumored to have been a wedding present to his Grandparents. It's called Ulvik on the Hardangerfiord. I believe the watercolor painting was made between 1870 and 1897. It was signed by Margaret Ruff.

We found a Margaret Ruff who was an Artist and Etcher that was born and resided in Philadelphia, PA but traveled and studied abroad in Europe. She was a member of the Boston Art Club.

She was a student at the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts and had exhibits at the Boston Art Club, Boston Museum of Fine Arts, National Academy of Design, Paris Salons and the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts. She had also studied under Thomas Eakins. We believe this is the same Margaret Ruff who painted the watercolor.

If anyone knows anything more about this work of art or the Artist please comment.

Thanks!

Comments

  1. Added Margaret Ruff's signature photo...If anyone knows anything about this Artist and her work it would be greatly appreciated. Send an email to info@printingyourart.com or comment - Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My New Artwork

Eli the Crow Okay, I'm not a multi-talented artist. I just like to dabble with acrylics, watercolors, and photography. I have also been totally enthralled by the Heirloom Traditional Paint Company out of  Kentucky, so much so, that I painted my kitchen cabinets myself. I have now bought enough paint to redo every piece of furniture I have. Why? It is because I love playing with colors. Maybe I never really grew up! Coloring books even made a comeback for adults in recent years. I should have thought of that idea first!  I usually digitize my art and then throw it onto my gallery. I am not concerned about sales as much as having a place to put my art. I enjoy viewing it and seeing if I am making any progress in my skill set. I don't always sit and do art, or take my camera everywhere I go, so my progression is really, really slow, but then again, that really isn't my goal in my hobbies and crafts. I just like doing them. I don't need to be the best, or the greatest, or h

After You Convert Your Artwork - Part 2: What Next?

Now that you have converted your artwork to a digital format it is now time to find out what you can do with it!  I like using my digital art and photography to design products, sell prints, and for adding to my stories and articles that I like to write and post. Some of my artwork can be found on Etsy at www.earthsflowers.com . I use the company Printify to upload the artwork and attach it to products that I can sell, from cups to clothing. This company interfaces with Etsy so once I design something I upload it to Printify which is easy to link with my Etsy and Pattern (full website that they offer) store. I normally use Photoshop 2023 for my designs as well as utilizing some options available through Printify. I will also use templates that are available in the Canva app too. In Canva I can use their templates or design my own. It really is a mix of options that I use from Canva, which is a paid service if you want their premium products to download in .png format (with no backgroun